Science or Old Wives' Tales?
Create an Experiment or Investigation to Prove or Disprove It!
* Cure for headaches: Take a lime, cut it in half and rub it on your forehead. The throbbing will go away.
* Crayon marks on walls? This worked wonderfully! A damp rag, dipped in baking soda. Comes off with little effort .
* Flies or bees bothering you? Spray them with hairspray and they will take a quick dive.
* Permanent marker on appliances/counter tops (like store receipt BLUE!) rubbing alcohol on paper towel.
Whenever I purchase a box of S.O.S Pads, I immediately take a pair of
scissors and cut each pad into halves. After years of having to throw
* Blood stains on clothes? Not to worry! Just pour a little hydrogen peroxide on a cloth and proceed to wipe off every drop of blood. Works every time!
* Sealed envelope - Put in the freezer for a few hours, then slide a knife under the flap. The envelope can then be resealed.
* To clean artificial flowers, pour some salt into a paper bag and add the flowers. Shake vigorously as the salt will absorb all the dust and dirt and leave your artificial flowers looking like new! Works like a charm!
* Use Empty toilet paper roll to store appliance cords. It keeps them neat and you can write on the roll what appliance it belongs to.
* Opening brand new jars can be a feat in itself. Well, I have found a way to make it the easiest thing to do. Instead of banging a jar of jam, pickles, etc., with a knife until it loosens up, I simply reach into the drawer and pull out the handy nutcracker. It adjusts to the size of the jar and I simply give it a good twist and off pops the lid!
* Use vertical strokes when washing windows outside and horizontal for inside windows. This way you can tell which side has the streaks. Straight vinegar will get outside windows really clean. Don't wash windows on a sunny day. They will dry too quickly and will probably streak.
* Spray a bit of perfume on the light bulb (while it's off and cold) in any room to create a lovely light scent in each room when the light is turned on. Place fabric softener sheets in dresser drawers and your clothes will smell freshly washed for weeks to come. You can also do this with towels and linen.
* Candles will last a lot longer if placed in the freezer for at least 3 hours prior to burning.
* To easily remove burnt on food from your skillet, simply add a drop or two of dish soap and enough water to cover bottom of pan, and bring to a boil on stovetop.
* Spray your TUPPERWARE with nonstick cooking spray before pouring in tomato based sauces and there won't be any stains.
* When a cake recipe calls for flouring the baking pan, use a bit of the dry cake mix instead and there won't be any white mess on the outside of the cake.
* Wrap celery in aluminum foil when putting in the refrigerator and it will keep for weeks.
* When boiling corn on the cob, add a pinch of sugar to help bring out the corn's natural sweetness.
* To get rid of itch from mosquito bites, try applying soap on the area and you will experience instant relief.
* Ants, ants, ants everywhere ... Well, they are said t o never cross a chalk line. So get your chalk out and draw a line on the floor or wherever ants tend to march.
* Use air-freshener to clean mirrors. It does a good job and better still, leaves a lovely smell to the shine.
* When you get a splinter, reach for the scotch tape before resorting to tweezers or a needle. Simply put the scotch tape over the splinter, then pull it off. Scotch tape removes most splinters painlessly and easily.
* Now look what you can do with Alka Seltzer. Clean a toilet. Drop in two Alka Seltzer tablets, wait twenty minutes, brush and flush. The citric acid and effervescent action clean vitreous China.
* Clean a vase. To remove a stain from the bottom of a glass vase or cruet, fill with water and drop in two Alka Seltzer tablets.
Polish jewelry. Drop two Alka Seltzer tablets into a glass of water
and immerse the jewelry for two minutes. Clean a thermos bottle. Fill
the bottle with water, drop in four Alka Seltzer tablets, and let soak
* Unclog a drain. Clear the sink drain by dropping three Alka Seltzer tablets down the drain followed by a cup of Heinz White Vinegar. Wait a few minutes, then run the hot water.